Saturday, March 1, 2014

Review: Gluten-Free Bisquick Pancake and Baking Mix

This morning, we needed pancakes. And Julia said, "Yes, I will behave and quietly play with my toys while you cook." Or at least that's what I thought I heard.

I like the way the light is shining down from heaven on these lovely pancakes.

I  usually don't go for mixes because I like to control the ingredients and because they're expensive. I've tried Pamela's mix and loved it -- except it has dairy and we can't do that anymore. Bob's Red Mill had a nice one for bread or something, but it's made with bean flours and they taste funny. And then I saw GF Bisquik. It's made with rice flour, sugar, salt, gum, and leavening. Safe for Julia, and a lot more reliable/quicker for me to throw together!

The mix just feels like a ripoff. The box is so SMALL. Amazon has it in bulk, which would help with the cost, but it still doesn't explain why the price is so high, especially when all these ingredients are cheap.
Hello, my pretties

But anyway, these pancakes were the prettiest pancakes I've ever made, with or without gluten/dairy/etc. And John and I inhaled them. I made a few plain and most with blueberries, and I don't even know which was better. More pancakes needed, for science!

The instructions on the box call for a cup of milk (rice!), an egg, and two tablespoons of canola oil. But canola is gross and I suspect it bothers Julia. I almost used olive oil, but I was afraid the flavor would be too strong. So I used unsweetened applesauce. And I'd do it again in a heartbeat.  The instructions also say, and I'm quoting here: DO NOT EAT RAW BATTER. Doesn't say why, and I'm curious and grossed out. Somehow I doubt it's the organic free-range raw egg I put in.

My only real complaint is that the recipe on the box makes so few pancakes. It claims it makes ten, but I only got eight out of a batch. John and I both wanted one or two more pancakes because we're gross.

Next time, chocolate chip. That is if Julia can tolerate chocolate...
Haven't tried the mix for baking yet, but I have plans to. I'm also going to suggest to my mom that she pick up a box for the occasional GF baking she does. This stuff would be perfect for the casual GF baker. 

No comments:

Post a Comment