Friday, February 7, 2014

The Feisty Muffin

As of writing this, my baby girl is seven months old. She's a feisty one, but she's also my sweet little muffin, so that's where the name comes from. My husband says it sounds like a bad pub or a whorehouse; we'll go with the former. Anyway, my girl's breastfed, and this has led to some challenges, to say the least. I miss food.

But I love breastfeeding - the connection and bond we share is indescribable. And we don't have to pay for formula, which is also cool. 

The colic started right away. We couldn't get her to stop crying in the hospital. I was afraid of taking my screaming bundle of joy home and being in charge of making her not screamy. My husband and I both lost sleep and a lot of weight, but we made it through. We are making it work. 

Our first clue that Julia was having problems came a couple weeks after birth. She was having bloody and mucusy diapers, and by the third I was on the phone with our pediatrician's nurse line at 3am. They told us to head to the ER. After yet another all nighter, we learned that she had a dairy allergy, the most common of breastfeeding allergies. All I had to do was eliminate cow products from my diet and she'd be fine in two weeks. I haven't touched dairy since, but she was still unhappy two weeks later. Our pediatrician told me to stop eating ice cream. "Women can't live without their ice cream!" he proclaimed. That right there was the precise moment I lost respect for him. I still need to pick a new pedi.

So then I cut soy, but still didn't see a change. So I went back on soy. Then spices, onions, wheat, corn, eggs...I still couldn't figure this out. Months were going by, and the three of us were miserable. Most days, I couldn't find the time to brush my hair. I considered it a good day if I ate two meals and caught an hour nap or two. She screamed and I cried. I had chest pains, a twitchy eye, and I lost the ability to form grammatically sound sentences - and I was an English teacher before her birth! 

At Julia's four month checkup, I again asked our pedi for help. He told me to stop eating ice cream. Again. Then he said most women can't handle giving up the foods they love, like ice cream, so we should switch to formula. And from then on, he pushed formula. I tried explaining that I hadn't eaten any damn ice cream, but he wasn't interested. 

I knew things were bad when after my dentist told me I'd have to come in and have two fillings replaced, I smiled: "Sure! I can come back next week!!" Yep, having my teeth drilled sounded like a good time to me. I got to drive there alone, listen to my music, talk to a few adults, and not hear that piercing shriek that I'd come to associate with my sweet little girl. Sign me up! 

Finally, I read about the elimination diet on Dr. Sears' website:
Eat only turkey, lamb, white rice, brown rice, white potatoes, sweet potatoes, zucchini and pears. Then gradually introduce foods in and see what bothers your baby. 

Lamb is expensive, so we went turkey. The week of Thanksgiving. Not a great time to begin this kind of thing, but hey, we were desperate and turkey was even on sale. It took the full two weeks, but it worked. Thanksgiving dinner was a challenge, but I could have the turkey plain, a sweet potato, and a few shreds of undressed lettuce from the salad. Yum! My mom has also nearly dairied me on several occasions -"Amy, butter doesn't count as dairy," and my other favorite, "breadcrumbs don't count as wheat" - so I know to ask redundant questions whenever we're at the house for a family dinner: "Is there dairy in this? How about butter?" 

And now it's February and I'm still introducing foods and failing on occasion. To date, my feisty muffin is allergic to:
dairy, wheat, soy, coconut, sometimes corn and sometimes pork. Some foods with corn starch bother her and others don't. I'm guessing it's a threshold thing. 

And problems arise regularly. Solid foods didn't go well either. We've stopped for now because it was AWFUL. We even tried giving her probiotics, but that made things much much worse. I just started probiotics for myself two days ago after reading about a thing called "leaky gut," in which the mother's stomach lacks sufficient bacteria and food particles that normally wouldn't be released into milk are - thus irritating the baby. So we'll see. I'm hopeful. Cautiously optimistic. 

In the meantime, follow our struggle to eat dinner. Well, any meal, really. I've made up a few recipes of my own that are allergy friendly, and I've modified several others that work for us. I'm concerned about my nutrition, though my physician did give me a clean bill of health two weeks ago. If any of you are struggling with allergies or an allergic breastfed baby, I sincerely hope I can help with my story. Which is ongoing. We're not out of the woods yet, but at least we're finding our way! 

But yeah, I'm still hungry all day and I'd kill for a slice of pizza. Kill, apparently, but not irritate my little muffin's tummy. Perhaps I should work on my vernacular.

No comments:

Post a Comment