Thursday, March 6, 2014

Dairy-, Tomato-, Soy-, and Gluten-Free Turkey Meatloaf

This was one delicious meatloaf. However, it bothered Julia. Urgh. My husband was crazy about it, which is good because he's got a lot of leftovers to work through on his own now!

That's a maple apricot glaze on top. Oh yeah.


For next time, I'd use more breadcrumbs and some chicken broth. The loaf was kinda dense. And Julia got upset. The culprit(s)? I'm unsure here. I had tested apricot jam before, but maybe I did it wrong...? Maple syrup is ok. That pretty much leaves the one idiot move I made while making this. I got carried away. I.....I added a splash of balsamic vinegar to the glaze. Ugh.

I thought it would be ok. It was just a splash AND it was in the glaze for the whole meatloaf - so how much would one serving even be, right? And.... I'm such an idiot.

If you can, sauteed mushrooms and/or a caramelized onion would really bring this one home.

Adapted from the Gluten-Free Goddess's Maple Meatloaf (I love her stuff)
Recipe: Lots-of-Things-Free Turkey Meatloaf

1/2 cup baby spinach
1 cup carrots (I used baby)
good dash of garlic powder
one slice of GF bread
salt and pepper
one dash each of nutmeg and allspice .p;
2 eggs
3lbs ground turkey (not the white meat only)
1/4 cup maple syrup

Maple Apricot Glaze:
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup apricot jam
splash of balsamic vinegar at your own peril
sprinkle of cinnamon

Line a baking sheet with foil and parchment. Set the oven to 350.

In a food processor, blend the spinach and carrots. Scoop out to a bowl. Process the bread into crumbs and add to a bowl. Add the seasonings, syrup and eggs and mix very well. Add the turkey and mix too. Pour onto baking sheet and shape into a loaf. Bake for 45 minutes. Put the glaze on and bake for 30 more minutes.

Glaze: Mix up the ingredients for the glaze. If the jam isn't mixing well, microwave it in 10-second bursts to help it melt.

No comments:

Post a Comment