Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Recipe: Pasta with turkey, spinach and beans

When my husband walked in the door tonight, the first thing he said was, "Oh, that smells so good - give food now please!" I love when he gets excited about dinner! 

This one was a big hit. And even better, it came together in the time it took to boil the pasta. Definitely keeping it in the repertoire!
Sorry about the fork - I was so hungry that I almost forgot to take a photo!

I got lucky here. I had been craving pasta, but I was trying to come up with a sauce for it that would be both dairy and tomato free. So this was risky, but I'm really glad I gave it a go. It reminded us of pasta e fagioli, but with less of an emphasis on being soup.

I do have one confession though - I threw in some garlic powder. Madness, I know! Let's hope I don't go regretting that one at 3am.

If I were making this old style, I'd have thrown in actual garlic or shallots. Mmm, shallots. And definitely lots of parm. Maybe a can of diced tomatoes for fun..

Recipe: Pasta with Turkey, Spinach, and Beans

1 12oz package of safe pasta (I like Tinkyada brown rice pasta)
1 pound of ground turkey
1 bag of baby spinach
2 15oz cans of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
3/4 cup white wine
3/4 cup chicken broth
pinch of dried Italian seasoning
3 dashes of garlic powder (optional, for the daring ones among us!)
salt and pepper

Put a pot of water on to boil and cook the pasta. In a skillet or deep saute, cook turkey in olive oil until it's no longer pink. Add in garlic powder, if using, and baby spinach until it's wilted. Add beans, wine and broth. Bring to an almost boil. Try to smush some of the beans with your spoon. Add in herbs and season to taste.

Drain the pasta, mix it all up, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment