Thursday, February 27, 2014

Recipe: Pumpkin Pasta

This is our hands down favorite everything-free dinner. My husband did the shopping last week, and when he recognized the ingredients for Pumpkin Pasta, he bought two of everything so I could make it twice. That's love.
Yum
 This is another great dairy- and tomato-free pasta sauce. The pumpkin is very creamy and flavorful; I actually like it with a lot of salt and pepper.

If you can, this dish is fantastic with sausages (Italian or chicken and apple) and mushrooms. Onions or shallots too. And parmesan. Lovely, lovely parmesan.

The amounts are so not precise. I used two handfuls of baby spinach because I had spinach in the fridge and that was the amount remaining in the bag.

Recipe: Pumpkin Pasta

1 cup chopped carrots (I used baby)
1 cup chopped celery
two handfuls of baby spinach
1.5 lbs ground turkey (not the white meat only - it's too dry)
3/4 cup chicken broth (I like Kitchen Basics)
1/2 cup white wine
1 can of pumpkin puree
two dashes each of nutmeg, sage, and garlic powder
salt and pepper
1 package of GF pasta (I like Tinkyada)

Put on a pot of water to boil the pasta.

In a large skillet with high sides, saute the veggies until softened in olive oil. Add the ground turkey and cook through.  Add the wine and broth, and bring to an almost boil. Add the seasonings and stir up well. Add the pumpkin, lower the heat, and simmer for a few minutes to allow it to thicken up. Season with s&p to taste and mix with the pasta when ready.

Parm if you can!

No comments:

Post a Comment