Sunday, February 9, 2014

Recipe: Risotto and turkey cutlets

It's what's for dinner. A simple (read: plain) risotto with turkey cutlets. This is a staple in our home. Julia is happy when I eat it, and my husband John even likes it (doctored up with parmesan).
It's not a bonanza of flavor, no. But it's good, it's safe, and it's not plain meat with salt and pepper. And after the elimination diet, anything sounds good, right? 

In the old days, I'd sautee an onion, some mushrooms, and toss plenty of luscious parm on top. Frozen turkey meatballs and peas turned it into a favorite one-pot meal. Maybe we can work our way back up to mushrooms. Someday. In the meantime, we must eat! 

Notes: The quality of chicken broth really matters here. I like Kitchen Basics or Better Than Broth. The cheapo store brand stuff makes a really weak risotto.
I used frozen spinach because that was what I had. Frozen peas also work beautifully. Use up what you've got in your freezer, as long as you think it'll go!
You can also assemble the whole thing and shove it in the oven. I'm taking no-stir risotto here. Add about six cups of broth, the wine, the frozen veg, and all the rice and bake covered at 350° for close to an hour. Add in more broth if it seems dry. My husband says it tastes better on the stove, so I usually do it that way. 

Recipe: Risotto with Turkey Cutlets
2 cups/1 pound arborio
2 cartons of nice chicken broth (you'll use around six cups)
1/2-3/4 cup white wine
Frozen veg: peas, spinach, whatever
salt and pepper

Toast the rice in olive oil for about five minutes over medium heat. Then add in the wine and stir. Start adding in chicken broth in 3/4 cup pours. I usually add in about three, stir it up and walk away. Come back, stir, add more broth, stir, and walk away. Do this for about 20 mins or until the rice tastes done. Then turn off the heat and add the frozen veg. Cover the pot and let it heat through for a few minutes.

Turkey Cutlets:
This is barely a recipe. I'm a little embarrassed to include it. But hey, it's in the picture (which is coming! Right after I fix my card reader. And by "fix," I mean after I tell John that the baby mysteriously broke it and he fixes it).
Set the oven to 375°. Place the turkey on a pan lined with parchment. Sprinkle with herbes de provence, salt and pepper. Bake 20 mins, or till cooked through.

No comments:

Post a Comment