Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Recipe: Quinoa Raisin Muffins

When I got up this morning and opened the curtains to let some sunshine in, I saw snow on the ground. Not at all what I was expecting, especially given that yesterday I went out without a jacket. It's a day for muffins.


These turned out really well. They're not very sweet, kind of an oat-free/bran-muffin style muffin. And I learned that the next time I make quinoa, I need to stir in raisins because they go so well together.

I also tried letting the batter rest for 20 minutes, and it worked - the batter was much thicker than before the rest, and the muffins turned out beautifully. I also tried out those paper muffin liner cups because I hate scrubbing out each individual muffin compartment in a muffin pan. It made cleanup very quick, and I think it made them look cute.


Next time I'll put some sugar on the tops - they needed a little something, I think.

Recipe: Quinoa Raisin Muffins

2 cups cooked quinoa (1 cup uncooked)
1 cup sorghum
1 cup tapioca starch
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup olive oil
1 egg
3/4 cup apple juice
1 teaspoon vanilla

Bring 1 cup dry quinoa and a cup water to a boil and cook through, covered, for about 12-15 mins. Let cool a bit.

Mix dry ingredients in a big bowl (flour - brown sugar). Mix in quinoa and raisins. In a small bowl, mix up the wet (olive oil - vanilla). Add wet to dry and mix thoroughly. Let batter rest 20 mins and set oven to 350. Bake in a muffin tin for 25 mins.

No comments:

Post a Comment