Thursday, April 10, 2014

A Pesto of Errors

Sometimes I fail. This was one of those times.

I tried to do a Giada recipe, but change enough of it to be Julia friendly. It was safe and all, but really not great. Even worse, I tried to make this pesto in a blender, which I learned doesn't work. My food processor is a mini one, and I thought it'd be too small to handle all the ingredients (it wasn't). The blender whirred and the blades spun, but they couldn't get any traction to process the spinach and basil leaves. I shoved a spatula in to try and pack everything down, but it got stuck on the blades. I tried to pull it out, but the handle popped off. So I reached in to dislodge the spatula head, but the blades cut my fingers. As I pulled my hand out of the blender, lemon juice got on my cut. This was the precise moment Julia woke up screaming bloody murder.

Doesn't it look like it should taste good?

In the end, I scraped everything out of the blender and into the mini processor and had twice the mess to clean up - with bandaged fingers, a mangled spatula, and a feisty girl. And then the dinner was mediocre. Definitely not an evening I'd like to repeat!

I had such high hopes for this one, and it even smelled and looked great. On the bright side, Julia can tolerate basil.

Recipe: Bad Pesto Pasta

2 avocados
2 cups baby spinach
1 cup basil
zest of one lemon
juice of half a lemon
salt and pepper, garlic powder
1 tablespoon olive oil

chicken breasts
pasta

Cook chicken as desired; put pasta on to boil.

Put all pesto ingredients in food processor and process. I recommend adding a lot of parm, more lemon juice, real garlic, and some almonds.

No comments:

Post a Comment