Sunday, April 6, 2014

Natural Deodorant That Actually Works - It'll Keep You Feisty Fresh!

Guys, this is it. I have been looking for a natural deodorant for years. I've tried several brands (Tom's of Maine, Kiss My Face, Whatever That One From Whole Foods Was Called) and none - absolutely none - has ever done squat to help. I know that natural deodorants don't stop the sweat, just the stink, so I thought I might do an every other day natural/conventional/natural thing, or just wear the conventional stuff on stressful days kind of thing.


But I stank anytime I tried anything without aluminum in it. After an hour or two, I'd feel and smell nasty, and have to accept my stinky defeat as I reached for the "real" stuff. Not wanting to waste my money, I just gave up on such a thing as natural deodorant and went on my merry, powder fresh way.

Have you ever visited the EWG's cosmetic database? Just about everything in my bathroom cabinet was listed, ranked, and evaluated. Searching the database is very easy, and the results spell out how dangerous or safe the ingredients in most products are. I ran all my baby care stuff through, my stuff, and John's stuff (it took a few days worth of spare time!).

I ended up changing out my toothpaste, and I got to thinking about my deodorant again. I had been using the Clinical Strength deodorant of whatever brand was on sale and it had worked for me for years. The fact that I needed the Clinical Strength should offer a hint that I was once a sweaty person. Let's just say that in high school I wore men's deodorant. Because I was that girl. Winter, summer, snow, or beach weather - I had pit marks. Didn't matter if I was at the gym or quietly reading - there they were; I just figured I was one of those lucky people. Right up until I found my beloved Clinical Strength!

One day Amazon recommended The Crystal when I logged in (it knows me too well!). This is a different kind of deodorant - it's solid, but it's not a stick like solid deodorant. It's made from mineral salts and that's it. No really - that's the only ingredient. It'll work on men and women because it's just a stick of mineral salts. There is absolutely no scent at all, and no white residue to let dry. I smell like nothing, and I like it.

View of the back

Applying it is a little different -- I lightly dampen my pits and then rub the stick on. The instructions say to wet the stick itself, but I don't want to get it too wet because water dissolves the stick and then you've got less stuff. I do think this will last me over a year, too - I've been using it every day for a couple weeks, and it looks the same as it did the first day I tried it.


I know summer isn't here yet (though it is 50 today! Woo!) so while I can't say that it works in the hot sun, so far I haven't had a single pit mark, stain, or stank. And this includes a few rounds of hour-long power walks with Julia in the stroller, where I did get pretty sweaty - just not under the arms. I think I'm in love with this stuff.

Now if I can just get John to consider going natural...

No comments:

Post a Comment