Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Recipe: Lentil Stew

John's been away on a business trip, which means two things - I clean incessantly because I don't know what else to do with myself, and lentils. Both have turned out to be good things.


Julia and I will welcome our weary traveler home tonight with a clean house and dinner I hope he'll enjoy, Bacon-Wrapped Chicken Breasts. But until then, I'll be enjoying a nice, Julia-friendly lentil stew that John isn't crazy about.

But first I have to tell you about these lentils I bought on Amazon, Palouse Brand Lentils. They're incredible. I got a big sack of them and I'm completely hooked. These are about a billion times better than the ones at my grocery store, and probably yours, unless you shop at Whole Foods, where they have fancy stuff. These are the best lentils I've ever eaten, hands down. Do check them out.

This recipe is actually half of the usual amount. I cut it down because I'd be the only one eating it, and I didn't want to waste any leftovers. There's some liquid leftover to make it more stew-like, but if you aren't crazy about that, feel free to drop the cup of water, or replace it with a 28-oz can of tomatoes + its liquid. I really need to test tomatoes soon.

The garlic was also a bit of a test here -- I wanted its flavor, but not the risk of making Julia upset, so I discarded it with the bay leaves after cooking. It worked and the result was fabulous. Also, feel free to dump everything in the slow cooker; it'd work just fine.

If you can, drizzle a simple vinaigrette over the warm lentils; it's heavenly.


Recipe: Lentil Stew

1 1/2 cups chopped carrots
4 stalks celery, chopped
2 turnips, peeled and chopped
1 russet potato, peeled and chopped
3 cloves of garlic, peeled and lightly smashed
2 bay leaves
salt and pepper, option for onion powder
2 cups dried lentils
3 cups broth of your choice (I like chicken)
1/2 cup white wine
1 cup water

Saute the veggies and garlic until softened in olive oil in a good sized pot. Add in seasonings, lentils and liquids and bring to an almost boil. Cover partially and lower the heat to a simmer, cooking for about 40 minutes or until the lentils and potatoes are cooked through. Discard bay leaves and garlic.

1 comment: