Wednesday, June 11, 2014

All About Sorghum!

Have you ever wondered why people with allergies are ok with things like psyllum husks and sorghum, but not, oh, I dunno...milk and bell peppers?

Full disclosure: I still don't know what psyllum husks are. Yes, I have access to Google, but I guess I'm drawing the allergenic line somewhere, and that's at psyllum husks. Don't ask me to explain it because I don't think I can - they've just become a symbol of allergenic absurdity I've irrationally decided to channel my food frustration at. At which I've decided to channel.


Enter: sorghum. I've bought and baked with sorghum flour for years and am a big fan of the stuff. If you're not familiar, it's a high-protein, Ethiopian grain that's naturally gluten free and has only recently begun being farmed in the US. It's got a sweet, nutty taste that works in baked goods really well. It's also far more nutritious than brown rice flour, and produces a better texture. Check it out!


But whole sorghum? I'd never seen it before, and during a recent excursion to the organic store for supplies, I noticed it. "Ooh, sorghum!" as I snatched up a bag. Guys, I need to get out more.

It cooks like rice that takes an entire hour. I made it as a side dish with honey ginger chicken and a green veg. I'd say, don't make it as a side dish. It'd be great in a salad, the kind you'd add lentils or quinoa to. It's very chewy, and you'll ask yourself repeatedly (as will your dining companion) if it's cooked thoroughly. I overcooked mine just to be sure. Fun side note: you can pop it like popcorn! Worth a try. For science.


Recipe: Sorghum Side Dish

I actually really got into this. It's sweet and flavorful and the raisins were perfect in it. Carrots would have added a lot, but I was out.

1 cup whole sorghum, rinsed
3 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup raisins
3 dashes each of Chinese five spice, onion powder and black pepper
1 dash garlic powder

In a small pot, bring everything up to a boil. Cover, reduce to a simmer, and cook for an hour. Or longer if you're in doubt. Drain excess liquid. Eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment