Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Babydactyl. And lemon chicken.

The babydactyl was in full force last week. I tested hummus, and it was a no go. I suspect it was the sesame tahini though, and not the actual chickpeas. So I bought a can of chickpeas and I'll try my hand at tahini-free hummus. We also tried another kind of baby cereal last week; that was when the babydactyl really came out to play. Not so much "play," as "poo, scream, shriek, and not sleep."

We also celebrated our first Mother's Day with the muffin. Pink champagne was on hand (thank goodness grapes passed!), and that made the day feel even more special. Julia refused to nap though, despite my insistence that she HAD to because it was Mother's Day. It reminded me of when I was a kid and used to ask my mom when kid's day was. "Every day is kid's day," she'd always say, and though at the time I didn't think so, she was right.


Mother's Day dinner was a feast of Chinese takeout. My mother was hosting and that was what she wanted to do. My dinner was the one thing on the menu an Eliminationeer like myself could safely eat: steamed chicken, steamed carrots, and steamed white rice. You could really taste the steam. So that's why I'm grateful I also have lemon chicken. It tastes like lemon and chicken - no steam.

Now with REAL flavor!

Recipe: Lemon Chicken

chicken (I used drumsticks because they were on sale)
1 lemon
white wine or chicken broth
4 cloves garlic, smashed
parsley, chopped
salt and pepper

Set the oven to 375.

Line a rimmed pan with foil and parchment. Lay the chicken in the pan. Juice lemon over a measuring cup; add enough wine or broth to make it a half cup. Add juice, garlic parsley, and s&p to the pan. Toss in the lemon carcasses for fun. Bake for 30-40 mins, or till cooked through and brown and lovely. Discard garlic and lemon carcasses.

Serve with the lemony drippings. We had ours with quinoa and a veg. It was nice.


No comments:

Post a Comment