Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Black Bean Chili

John's coming home tonight! And in his honor, let there be chili!

That'd be pumpkin cider on the left. And baby food to the right...

This chili does not have a spicy kick. I'd love to spice it up, but I don't think Julia would appreciate spicy breastmilk, and I don't wish to anger the vengeful baby sleep gods tonight. So I'm playing it safe here. Please feel more than free to add cumin and/or more spice! Or even cilantro if that's your kind of thing. Friend to the muffin Emily is a huge fan of the stuff. Seriously. She can't get enough of it. Every meal of the day with that one.

I topped my chili with non-dairy cheddar cheese shreds. And honestly, they tasted pretty damn great. Maybe it's just all the months away from dairy weakening my cheese senses, but I'd eat that on anything. For reference, I bought Daiya brand cheese. Or should I say "Cheese TM." Soy and dairy free, that stuff!

Black Bean Chili
Rice is optional here. If you're looking to stretch this dinner out and feed an army, then go with the rice. You can stir it in cooked at the end, use leftover takeout rice, or even add the raw rice and extra liquid along with the tomatoes, and let it all simmer together in one big pot.

2 shallots, chopped
2 zucchini, diced
5 carrots, chopped
2 red bell peppers
2 tbsp chili powder
s&p, garlic powder
1lb ground turkey
2 15oz cans diced tomatoes
2 15oz cans black beans, drained and rinsed well
1lb frozen corn
optional: 1 cup rice (see note)

Toppings: avocado, sour cream, hot sauce, cheese, a squeeze of lime...

In a Dutch oven, saute all the veg until softened. Then add the turkey and spices, and cook the turkey most of the way through. Add tomatoes, beans, and corn. Bring to a boil and then let simmer for 45 mins. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment