Tuesday, July 8, 2014

The Feisty Girl Turns 1!

We celebrated Julia's first birthday this past weekend along with the 4th of July. It is completely unbelievable that it's been an entire year, but I guess that's just what happens. Somehow our little feister became an even bigger and sweeter feister.


To celebrate, we needed a Julia-safe dessert so we could get the requisite messy face photos. We considered putting a candle on half an avocado, on a wedge of watermelon, and on a mango. Then we considered making a three-tiered fruit cake from giant pieces of cake-shaped fruits - watermelon, honeydew melon, and cantaloupe (thank you Pinterest and Emily). And then I had an idea while in the gluten-free aisle at the grocery store (ok, the sign says "aisle," but it's really more like three shelves). Maybe I could bake her cupcakes, I thought, probably out loud because I don't sleep much. I noticed the baking mixes, and checked out a bag of Pamela's brand cake mix: it's just rice, sugar, leavening, and vanilla. Stuff like that. So I bought it and baked a batch of cupcakes. 

Perfect! Now they just need icing.

The only missing piece was the frosting. Chocolate is out, as is dairy, so I decided to make a blueberry sauce. Why not, right? It was so good. It tastes like blueberry jam, actually, but blueberry jam is delicious so it was a win! 

I had to act quickly while there was still something to photograph!

Feisty Girl Cupcakes with Blueberry Icing

1 bag/box safe cake mix (Pamela's!)
3 eggs
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2/3 cup water

I followed the package directions, except that I used olive oil and added extra vanilla because, well, vanilla. Mix up and bake according to package instructions. 

Blueberry Icing

1 1/2 - 2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
scant 1/2 cup sugar
Optional: few drops of citrus juice (I used orange - lemon would work too)

Mix up in a small pot and bring to a boil. Cook until the sugar dissolves and some 
of the blueberries explode. Lower the heat to a simmer and cook a few minutes more. Taste! Thicken if desired with xanthan gum, but do note that it'll thicken up a lot as it gets cool. 

Don't frost them ahead of time or the cupcakes will get mushy. Tastes a bit like pound cake with blueberry jam to me. Delicious! 











No comments:

Post a Comment