Wednesday, September 16, 2015

A cheesy peace offering of Crock Pot Quinoa Enchiladas

Guys, I'm awful. My last post was in January. I thought maybe May, but yikes. I'm going to blame making desert friends. There, that sounds nice.

I have actual desert friends, not just silos. But I do drive by these guys often.

Coming up on an entire year in Arizona soon. We're signing another lease on our rental because we still have so much state left to explore before we buy. We've learned how to hunt for scorpions, how to spot a Mormon (they're a very friendly people), and that we live in the boob job capital of the US. I'll find a citation for you later; it's a real title.

I've started an Instagram with photos of my expeditions around this gorgeous state - please feel more than free to check it out! There's the occasional picture of New England because I do miss it at times and it's fun to look back and remember how big those northeastern trees are.

So, to apologize for never posting anymore, I present you with a delicious peace offering:

Crock Pot Quinoa Enchiladas

It looks too cheesy, but really it just needs to be stirred better.


No, I didn't just mash up a bunch of nouns - it's real! This was damn delicious and I'll be making it again next week when John's on a business trip and can't say that I made it again too soon.
Notes: I use shallots because they cook faster than onions. Use what you like or skip it altogether. This can easily be made vegetarian, too, and would be great that way. And also, feel free to add cumin and chili powder. I went light to make it child friendly, even though she wouldn't touch it. More for me.

1 shallot/onion, chopped
1 lb or so of ground meat - I used turkey
1.5 cups dry quinoa
1 cup water
1 cup frozen corn
1 10oz can fire-roasted/no salt added diced tomatoes
1 15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup salsa, heat of your choice
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 19oz can enchilada sauce -- check for gluten, if concerned
1 dash of chili powder
2 cups shredded cheddar/jack cheese

1. Soften the shallot in a skillet for a few minutes and then add the ground meat to cook through. Add to crock pot.
2. Add everything but the cheese to the crock pot and stir well. Cover and cook for three hours on high, or six on low.
3. Stir in some cheese and serve!


No comments:

Post a Comment